[CF-Devel] Re: Sorry

Mark Wedel mwedel at scruz.net
Sat Dec 9 15:51:46 CST 2000

Peter Mardahl wrote:

      Well, I honestly would like to see enchant-armour not add ac to

      boot, glove, cloak.  I think that would do nicely.

 I would personally like to see much of the item enchantment removed from player
control and instead by done on altars, magic pools, or other places.

      I've been doing some playing in a fighter recently, though, and I

      don't think it's too much of a problem as it is now.  I.e.,

      we should think about it, but it's not the top of our list of

      worries.

 I actually find fighters probably the easiest to start off - lots of hit
points, can kill things very quickly, and have the strength to haul everything
back to town.  I guess at some point the fighter falls behind (perhaps because
as I alluded to, mages and spell casters damage for spells keep going up, where
fighters really don't get any further benefit I don't think - they can pretty
much already hit anything in sight).

      A dagger +1 obviously isn't offensive.  However, a taifu +1 very probably

      is.  I think setting level for taifu's, all archetype artifacts, all

      random artifacts, and certain map artifacts, and allowing only one

      "levelled" weapon is a sensible rule.

      However, I still am concerned about it a bit:  what about a level

      8 char:  why would he use a shield instead of a second +4 long sword?

      He'd lose 3 ac, (shield +2), a loss of about 30%,

      but double his combat strength.  It's

      not as bad if the second weapon is +0 and totally mundane.

 But I don't have a big problem with that - there will always be cases where it
can be seen that some set of weapons is better.  Even that mage may find using
two daggers better than using a shield.

 In any case, I think the second weapon should have some penalties (less damage
and hit chance), simply on the basis it is your off hand.  That would make it so
your not doubly effective (maybe 75% more effective lets say).  But using two
artifact weapons with all sorts of protections would pretty much always be
unbalancing.

      Actually, i like the level-difference-matters system on awarding

      experience.  We could conceivably remove the "cap" on player level and

      experience and let the level-exp-diff system put a natural cap on it

      for us.

      I think the real problem here is that experience awards for various

      monsters is just off, as are their levels.

 There is actually an option to control what behaviour (simple exp system).

 The typical problem with the level system is that if you manage to kill
something several levels higher, you get gobs of exp - this can especially be
true when you have arrows of assassination.

 Also, the current exp system needed for levels already increases as you gain
levels, so that sort of takes into account that killing kobolds at level 10 is
going to take you a long time.  That was my reasoning for putting in the simple
exp system - easier to adjust exp for monsters, fixes some problems with
assassaniting higher level monsters, and the fact that player exp already
increases what you need for each level.