[CF-Devel] Future development & version 1.0.

Peter Mardahl peterm at tesla.EECS.Berkeley.EDU
Sat Dec 9 03:49:21 CST 2000

      > I think crossfire was a good game deserving of 1.0 years ago.  It's

      > been fun to play the entire time I've worked on it.  I really think

      > that in the last years, we've added icing to an already good cake.

      > It was a good game before I ever touched it.

       I think before the client server split, crossfire would not have been ready

      1.0.  Back when the server did remote x displays, lag was determined by the

      laggiest connection.

It was perfectly ready for 1.0 as a non-networked game.  I have played
much crossfire all by myself exploring the maps people have created.
Crossfire is truly a worthy game based on that alone.

      > > 1) Stability of the server.  The server really needs to be able to run fo

      > > under heavy loads with no problems.

      > The only remaining serious bug I know of is "that map bug":  the one

      > where you come out of an exit and end up in the sea.

       I'll re-look at the enter_exit code - a rewrite may be in order in any case.

      But even that bug seems pretty rare.

It's quite annoying though.  It's the one thing we "really should fix".
I don't understand that area of code very well, unfortunately.

       Including the server with maps makes a pretty big distribution.  For example

      client with sounds archive would probably be around 500k or so (presuming we

      only ship the raw sounds and don't do the au sounds).  The bzip2 map archive

      a tidy 2.6 megabtyes.  Untarred, its like 15 megabytes (or 30 mb - don't

      remember if linux du shows blocks or kb).  That becomes a non trivial archive

So 5M total for a complete server+maps+client distribution?  And about 40M
of disk space uncompressed?  You... realize, of course, how lightweight
those demands are compared to a great many games?  Or to Netscape?

I'll volunteer to put together RPMs of maps + clients + server:
binary versions.  I will need a client which will allow easy startup
of the local server + metaserver support.  I do not think making
a binary version of the server would be difficult.  I do not
see why you think everyone would have to compile his or her own
server.  What is the difficulty with shipping server binaries?

      > Random maps.  This is why I DID random maps.  My whole reason for making

      > that huge exertion.

      > This is why I once proposed making cities where, by default,

      > each exit led to a random map.  The random maps are pretty good.

      > They could be much better.  However, no one has done significant work

      > on them but me.   The existing potential of random maps has been only

      > 5% exploited....  For example, I could probably pretty much duplicate

      > nethack with random maps.

       But random maps are still persistant - ie, if I go on the goblin quest, thos

      maps stick around for some amount of time (as evidenced by the fact I can go

Certainly.  What I was proposing was a greatly expanded application of
random maps, such as a whole city with many buildings, all leading to
deep random maps.  I can also design random maps such that they lead to
more random maps.

      back and haul out my loot and make multiple trips).  So while it may be easy

      add lots of random maps, I don't recall a lot of exits leading to them right

      now.

No, there are about on the order of 10 right now.

       this is of course easy to fix, and maybe it should be worked on.  I still th

      one of crossfires stronger points are the pre-made maps, but simply put, we

      can't make enough of those fast enough - perhaps with new players, we can get

      new maps created.

True, which is another reason why I did random maps.  Random maps can
keep ahead of a rapidly growing playerbase, while set maps would have no
hope.

       And note that for windows client at least, their only real option is to play

      against a public server.  Now the downside of windows only users is that they

Hmm, honestly, I wasn't considering "evangelizing" to Windows people.
We can, of course, but I wasn't considering targeting them initially.

I'm not too worried about not having a map editor for Windows.  Let
crossedit be their killer app which leads them to Linux!  Certainly
I don't see enough windows-programming-oomph currently around to do
a windows crossedit, nor a new UNIX crossedit, for that matter.

       True.  Helps if we have real players and not dummy logins or windows that

      aren't doing anything.

Let's schedule a playday, then, on some server where we can run
it under a debugger.  Crossfire.csua could host it.

       If so, then I would suggest this for a timeframe:

       In a few weeks, make a 0.99 release to get it out there (basically a 1.0

      beta).  Other than what we have and already proposed enhancements (gods

      rebalancing, PR adjustments), no new features.

       See how that release works out, and a month or so after that, release 1.0.

      Basically only difference from 0.99 is to squash some more bugs and try to

      balance any remaining issues.

       Sound reasonable?

Better than reasonable, it sounds great.  Let's:
1) finish up the Gods
2) finish up PR things
3) fiddle with the clients a bit to support the metaserver
4) and local-server-startup
5) find and crush bugs
6) tune balance and go to 0.99,
7) with 1.0 coming out a month after