[CF-Devel] bug: too many archetypes? - hopefully fixed

Andreas Vogl andi.vogl at gmx.net
Sat Dec 9 15:59:42 CST 2000

I wrote:

      But as I added it to my arches (local) and rebuilt

      them, I realized that the crossfire server didn't run

      anymore. I got an errormessage like:

      "Fatal error: hashtable for archetypes too small".

In advice of several developers on IRC (especially Mark W.),
I've set "#define ARCHTABLE 5003" in include/config.c
(previous value was 2459).
This should fix the bug I stated above.

Seems like this started a big discussion on IRC concerning the
hash-functions in our code. Some developers think that these
need to be re-done since the current hash-functions might not
provide best efficiency anymore.
Anyways, we agreed to first test the performance with the current
ARCHTABLE size.

I'm going to insert my freaky new monster on cvs now
as well. It will show up in the lower levels of the randommap
below the "tower of the stars" (south-east of scorn). My
personal advice: look, don't touch... ;)

Andreas V.