[CF-Devel] polymorph - worst exploit ever

Andreas Vogl andi.vogl at gmx.net
Sun Dec 10 06:28:17 CST 2000

Mark W. wrote:

      > o Polymorph items: [...]

      Looking at the code, there is a major bug in it.  Instead of new

      items having less value than the old value, it checks to see if the

      new item value is greater than the old value.  That is a one character

      change, and should fix that problem.

Fixing that is good, but it's not enough IMHO. Things like a
lava-slasher aren't of higher value than other artifacts.
Transforming a Chaos-Sword into a lava-slasher is still bad.
Nobody ever used polymorph on items for other than abuse.
You would need to specify TONS of special exceptions to define
a "fair" trade of one item into another. Comparing the value
only is not enough.
I say: Disable polymorph on items. As a mapmaker, it makes me
have nightmares.

      > o Polymorph monsters: [...]

      Currently, monsters get no saving throw - they are transformed.

      That is obviously wrong.  A monster should get a saving throw as

      well as bonuses for magic resistance.  That alone may make it

      impossible to polymorph very powerful monsters.

Make all monsters above level 20 immune to polymorph. That, and
nothing less, would seem acceptible to me. Transforming high level
monsters is *always* bad. When I design a map, I want to rely on the
fact that a player must really fight the monsters I put in.
It is silly if a player can change the monsters to meet his personal
favour. And like with artifacts<->value it's impossible to determine
the true strenght of a monster just by looking at it's level!

      > o Polymorph generators:

      Do postmen generators exist?

Yes.

      It would not be hard to remove the ability to polymorph fog,

      but this doesn't help with respect to other generators.  More so,

      this can be a problem - you could polymorph a wyvern generator in a

      tight space such that you know the wyverns created are trapped and

      use whatever skills in relative safely to knock them off.

      Perhaps removing the ability to polymorph generators might be the

      best balancing change for this?

Great, I've got nothing to add here =))
Except that the points above should be considered as well.

In general I have to say I see no point in spending massive amounts of
work to improve the polymorph code. Even if we managed to have a totally
balanced and fair polymorph-spell, it would still be invain since
nobody would use it then. That spell is only interesting for players
as long as they can cheat with it.
I know that the idea of removing (or at least crippling) a feature
might not cause enthusiasm, but in this case it seems neccessary.

Andreas V.