[CF-Devel] Ello

David Hurst dhurst at it.swin.edu.au
Sun Dec 10 19:03:03 CST 2000

Hello again, I been quite busy of late and have thus gone quiet.

The issue of multiple weapons and twohandedness has been put aside in favour
of concentration on the major current issues. I am waiting on Jan's god
intervention patch before I can begin to change the gods around. Mark I have
said I will, and I will =). Currently we have all except two/three problems
completely sorted out. Firstly, poisonous fog, and rather nasty Gnarg spell,
has not been decided on. What do people think about this, poisonous fog will
roughly follow players and move slightly faster than the current fog. If it
goes over a monster that monster will rapidly get slower and have a nasty
poison. This fog will also have the other qualities of fog, covering vision
and stopping magic from passing (like a wall). Most importantly is that is
is a fairly cheap spell and Gnarg players will be able to pump it out quite
readily, shrouding themselves in an impentrable toxic cloud... sound cool?
;).

Secondly, we have not resolved Holy Rage, currently it is one massive combo
spell, consisting of heroism (I think), armour, protections given by god,
and speed. If you cast it a few times you very quickly become EXTRAORDINARLY
powerful =) with a speed up at 3.00 or 4.00 =), more health and faster hp
regen. The simple thing to do would be limit it to one casting only, but
this then raises the question, should we limit all the protection type
spells? Due to the changes with PR resistance spells are now quite alot more
useful, how should we handle this? Pete's suggestion was to limit it to only
_1_ protection spell active at any time (includes protection, armour and
rage spells). I agree with this except for armour which I think is currently
quite well balanced (especially for Qs). We could also make Rage be cast a
few times but only certain asspects of it will improve each time.. I am open
to suggestions.

Thirdly, items handed out by gods, there are a whole lot of issues regarding
this. Firstly, players could sell them off, or give them to other players.
This can be prevented by setting them to initial items and handing them
directly into the players inventory. Is this satisfactory, Jan, can you work
that in?. Secondly, there may be alot of issues regarding the relative
"powerfulness" of handed out items. One would expect an item from mostrai to
be fairly powerful, could I have some suggestion for good items to be handed
out and their stats? I have a bad habit of adding items which turn out to be
alittle more powerful than most other players would give.

Also, I have a suggestion for acid. Could we change it to be like depleted
stats? Instead of permanently corroding items, which makes acid one
EXTREMELY fierce attack type, we could allow items to be "restored" perhaps
with the skill of smithery? As you get higher smithery skills you can
restore more of the weapon to its former self, rather like the "armour"
spell, where you apply smithery and slowly the item can be restored back.
Just a suggestion, but it really bugs me that items like, Dagger of
Paralysis cannot ever be restored without adding alot of weight, because
gods wont touch it to improve its enchantment. (Personally I would like to
see Dagger of Poisoning etc be allowed to be worked on by Gods (Dagger of
Poison of Mostrai, and then even cooler, Fog's Dagger of Poison of
Mostrai... which makes it sound like one really cool weapon =)). While
people seem to be against such, I think it adds a real aspect of an ultra
cool weapon, that reaks of power... adds alot of coolness to crossfire being
able to create new and unique weapons of your own, I REALLLLY love that
idea.

anyway thats all for now,

dnh

ps. AV, I haven't seen your worm yet, but I wouldn't mind knowing where you
got it from... I read you borrowed it, I wouldn't mind playing the game you
borrowed it from.

pps I have got a very cool drawing of a Q, that has arms =), I will try to
redo the png image of the Q so that it has arms (for holding weapon/s and
perhaps even a shield ;))))