[CF-Devel] Ello

Mark Wedel mwedel at scruz.net
Sun Dec 10 21:30:58 CST 2000

David Hurst wrote:

      Thirdly, items handed out by gods, there are a whole lot of issues regarding

      this. Firstly, players could sell them off, or give them to other players.

      This can be prevented by setting them to initial items and handing them

      directly into the players inventory. Is this satisfactory, Jan, can you work

      that in?. Secondly, there may be alot of issues regarding the relative

      "powerfulness" of handed out items. One would expect an item from mostrai to

      be fairly powerful, could I have some suggestion for good items to be handed

      out and their stats? I have a bad habit of adding items which turn out to be

      alittle more powerful than most other players would give.

 I would rather that the value of the item be set to 0 (so it can't be sold for
any money) than being marked as starting equipment.

 It would be quite annoying to accidentally drop that item and have it
disappear.

 In terms of giving them to other players, if not already done, you could make
it so that only followers of the same god could use the item.

 Sure, a high level player could give low level characters good god created
items.  However, at the same point, that high level character could give
spellbooks or any number of good items, and I don't want to try and enforce
that.  In fact, it would seem perfectly reasonable from a multi player
standpoint for a high level character to take some form of payment and give out
good god enchanted weapons.

      Also, I have a suggestion for acid. Could we change it to be like depleted

      stats? Instead of permanently corroding items, which makes acid one

      EXTREMELY fierce attack type, we could allow items to be "restored" perhaps

      with the skill of smithery? As you get higher smithery skills you can

      restore more of the weapon to its former self, rather like the "armour"

      spell, where you apply smithery and slowly the item can be restored back.

      Just a suggestion, but it really bugs me that items like, Dagger of

      Paralysis cannot ever be restored without adding alot of weight, because

      gods wont touch it to improve its enchantment. (Personally I would like to

      see Dagger of Poisoning etc be allowed to be worked on by Gods (Dagger of

      Poison of Mostrai, and then even cooler, Fog's Dagger of Poison of

      Mostrai... which makes it sound like one really cool weapon =)). While

      people seem to be against such, I think it adds a real aspect of an ultra

      cool weapon, that reaks of power... adds alot of coolness to crossfire being

      able to create new and unique weapons of your own, I REALLLLY love that

      idea.

Depleting items could be done, but would require a bit of code to be added.  I
guess the easiest would be to store an original version of the object inside the
damaged one.

 There may also be some problems with objects inside of objects going into
containers.  Additional damage to the object also needs to check to see if the
object in the inventory necessarily is the damaged object.

 I think even normal objects having other objects in their inventory could be
used to add many interesting abilities (say swords that have abilities).

 Doing depletion for player is relatively easy, because for the player we record
the players original (natural) stats inside the player structure and then just
apply all the adjustments, storing results in the player object structure which
has easy referance.

 I agree depletion may by a neat feature (you could also just add wear and tear
of armor for that matter), but with the current schedule, I would put this in
post 1.0 release due to the number of changes involved.