[CF-Devel] improving the PR-code (patch written)

Michael Toennies mtx93 at tzi.de
Tue Dec 12 17:59:03 CST 2000

      I'm sorry that this and my previous mail are rather long and not

      at every point easy to understand. I try to make myself as clear

      and short as possible. If there are still unsolved mysteries, please

      ask me on IRC. If you got time, simply download and test my patch:

      <

      http://mids.student.utwente.nl/~avogl/pr_patch.tar.gz

      >.

      Another note: I'd appreciate it very much if the process to make my

      patch accepted and "official" (-> CVS) would not take extra long. It's

      just because my patch includes numerous files and I'm afraid it might

      get outdated after a short while, meaning doubled work for me. =)

      In the last two days I asked every developer I met on IRC about his

      opinion to my pr-patch. (Thanks for your patience guys!)

      They are all in favour, except for two minor issues:

      (Skip this paragraph if your time is spare.)

      1. protection values for potions:

         Several people were afraid that 90% resistance for potions might

         not be sufficient. Expecially since some Races (Wraith, Troll) must

         rely on potions due to "caps" from vulnerabilities.

         (-> Remember: Vuln. caps can only be surpassed by the use of potions)

         Here's my strategie to solve that problem:

         First of all: 90% resistance is A LOT! Example: A lvl 1 character

         (miserable stats) with nothing but a cloak granting fire +90,

         cannot be hurt by the fiery breath of a red-dragon. (because

         the damage is < 1).

         I entered the dragon-hangar (dragonisland) with an average lvl 60

         char with all resistances at 90% (except magic - 0%). I had a

         fairly easy time clearing the map out - with melee combat. I did

         receive damage but slow enough to heal myself.

         => So, I still think 90% is the perfect value for "immu"-potions.

         If it would turn out that 90% is too low in some cases, I will

         introduce a new hyper-duper-potion with 95%, only for fire and

         cold. It will be quite rare and expensive though.

I think this is the point: The dragon hangar is a nightmare.
I get killed dozens of times because my immun. potions wear out.
But what i really don't like is the idea, to go into the hangar
without fear.

I like your PR system, lets put it in.
We have to test it, the only way to find out the good or bad things.

- we must test out the "cap" or whatever we call it, to make it impossible
get to much resistance on to low level (or to high on high level, this will
kill
the fun for high players too. You must EVER fear the dead!).

The caps/items should so be prepared that you NEVER can't enter the
dragon hangar or other creepy areas of the game without doing some
hard work - not even as level 100 char - you should ever fear the dead,
in this hard areas alot at all levels.

I don't like the immunity potions in an other way: You never got them
when you need it (to buy) or you got the false. When i want to go to a quest
i want play it, don't run like an idiot through all shops.

It is not "user friendly".

Perhaps we can use spells for it. They give you the high res we need. But
they can
wear out. And thats what i like: Prepare for fight, do some things under
time stress,
run in safe area and prepare again. Spells will fit for this, and better as
potions
you get them without buying it. And more, spells will fit in the level
scheme we
have:

make
- minor xxx protection level at level 1-4
- medium xxx protection at level 10-15
- major xxx protection at level 25+

It is there no other way to make you immun/high PR to something this will be
a good thing for map
making and others.

I prefer a lazy wear out:

if you cast/drink or do something else to get the high res. for solving the
hard places
- the effect should come in real time
- it should hold on some times (like the potions yet)
- and then they start to wear off
- slow the first seconds, then very fast in 2-3 seconds

This will make some fun (put high your adrenalin if your see your PR- values
start to drop
in your client and still in some edges of the hangar) and it will give you
some chance to
leave. Remember that very hard monsters can kill you in 1-2 seconds if they
can really strike you,
that kills you so fast yet if your Immunity wear off. No chance to act
against it.

I prefer to put in the PR stuff and test it out. Lets try some, make
different CVS versions with different
values and lets test it, the only way to find the fun.

MichToen

MichToen