[CF-Devel] improving the PR-code (patch written)

Peter Mardahl peterm at tesla.EECS.Berkeley.EDU
Wed Dec 13 20:34:51 CST 2000

I've taken a look at the patch, and I think AV's changes are
for the most part benefical and worth putting in.

Here's what he's done in his patch:

1)  Made dam between 0 and 1 sometimes able to cause damage by rolling
random numbers.  (I.e., if you have 90% resistance to an attack which was
8 dam, you'd have a .1 * 8 = .8 chance of getting hit for 1pt.)

2)  Simplified how potions work

3)  Repaired some problems in the protection spells

4)  Implemented his system of total_resistance = plusses - minuses
    where plusses and minusses add together within themselves
    armour-wise

5)  Made nice messages come out when resistances change

PeterM

      I'm sorry that this and my previous mail are rather long and not

      at every point easy to understand. I try to make myself as clear

      and short as possible. If there are still unsolved mysteries, please

      ask me on IRC. If you got time, simply download and test my patch:

      <

      http://mids.student.utwente.nl/~avogl/pr_patch.tar.gz

      >.

      Another note: I'd appreciate it very much if the process to make my

      patch accepted and "official" (-> CVS) would not take extra long. It's

      just because my patch includes numerous files and I'm afraid it might

      get outdated after a short while, meaning doubled work for me. =)

      In the last two days I asked every developer I met on IRC about his

      opinion to my pr-patch. (Thanks for your patience guys!)

      They are all in favour, except for two minor issues:

      (Skip this paragraph if your time is spare.)

      1. protection values for potions:

         Several people were afraid that 90% resistance for potions might

         not be sufficient. Expecially since some Races (Wraith, Troll) must

         rely on potions due to "caps" from vulnerabilities.

         (-> Remember: Vuln. caps can only be surpassed by the use of potions)

         Here's my strategie to solve that problem:

         First of all: 90% resistance is A LOT! Example: A lvl 1 character

         (miserable stats) with nothing but a cloak granting fire +90,

         cannot be hurt by the fiery breath of a red-dragon. (because

         the damage is < 1).

         I entered the dragon-hangar (dragonisland) with an average lvl 60

         char with all resistances at 90% (except magic - 0%). I had a

         fairly easy time clearing the map out - with melee combat. I did

         receive damage but slow enough to heal myself.

         => So, I still think 90% is the perfect value for "immu"-potions.

         If it would turn out that 90% is too low in some cases, I will

         introduce a new hyper-duper-potion with 95%, only for fire and

         cold. It will be quite rare and expensive though.

      2. vuln. caps for races:

         With my calc. scheme, worse than -30% fire (or maybe -50%) for the

         races wraith/troll would probably be too hard at high levels.

         But at low levels -30% might be rather harmless (1.3 x damage).

         Personally I believe it's okay, since the disadvantage of fire-vuln

         will always stick to the character during his whole (virtual-)life.

         At any point he will have a total amount of 30 less fire resistance

         than other races with same equipment.

         Peter M. proposed, in terms of damage, we should make vulnerabilities

         count doubled: So, if a player has a total of -30% res. to fire,

         internally it will be treated like -60%, but if one got +30% this is

         treated just normal. (This is what Peter was trying to say in his

         I have no objections to that and it's easy to do. Still, I would

         prefer not to insert this in my patch right now, but to add it later.

      Finally, to answer Mark's post:

      > Just a note, the two unix clients have been modified to show resistance

      > values (in numeric form) in the stat bar window.  So it is very easy to

      > see what your resistance values are.

      I'm aware of that. But I believe that the message "your resistance to fire

      rises to 58%" is still far more interesting than "you feel more resistant

      to fire".

      If there is still someone having major objections to my patch, please take

      the time to post them, or even better: Meet me on IRC.

      AndreasV.

      crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com