[CF-Devel] artifacts rebalanced (checked in CVS)

Andreas Vogl andi.vogl at gmx.net
Sat Dec 16 20:12:49 CST 2000

Now that we have the new PR-system many artifacts needed some
adjustments. Since I want the whole game to "work", I made
up a scheme to balanced the artifacts as good as I can for now.

I consider this a "first shot". It is not at all meant to be
the perfect configuration. Everybody is welcomed to test the
current PR-system and propose better values here and there.

I took the chance to removed all those 100%-immunities except for
special attacktypes (drain, depletion, paralyze, confusion, etc).

In case someone is interested, here a list of the most important
artifacts as they are now (only resistances are listed, all without
armour except "defender" and "bracers of great prot."):
-----
 wintermail: cold +90, poison -30
 wdsm: fire +95, cold +30
 midnight robe: magic +30, acid +75, ghosthit -100,
                fire/cold/drain/slow/paralyze +20
 dragonmail: fire +40
 Pdragonmail: fire +50, elec +30

 lava slasher: cold +75
 tritend of sea mastery: confusion/paralyze +100, acid +50, drain -30
 venomtooth: poison +80, ghosthit +30, fear +30
 Chaos sword: magic/fire/cold/elec +30, acid +75, confusion -50
 defender: (armour +50), drain +100

 warrior's helmet: magic +30, fear +30
 wizard hat: drain/slow/paralyze +30, fire/cold +15

 oilskin cloak: acid +75   (the fake one: acid +30)
 cloak of the underworld: acid +75, ghosthit +80,
                          drain/depletion +100, fire -5
 cloak of darkness: acid +85, fire -30
 cloak of magic resistance: magic +95
 serpent cloak: poison +30

 Dshield: drain +100, ghosthit +80, fire +30
 dragon shield: fire +30
 white dragon shield: fire +30, cold +30
 eyeshield: magic +30
 holy shield: drain +100, ghosthit +50
 belzebub shield: depletion +100

 ring of the elements: magic/fire/cold/elec/acid/poison +15
 ring of elrond: drain/depletion +100, magic +30
 ring of fire: fire +30    (rings of ice/storm just alike)
 ring of acid: acid +30

 bracers of great prot.: (armour +50)
 Essence of Flame of dex.: fire +30

 gauntlets of electric power: elec +30

 girdle of the firegod: fire +30
-----

On the whole I have to say that I'm very pleased how well the new
PR-scheme is working already. There are no maps that are "undoably hard"
with the current scheme. Still, most seem much better balanced now.
No more: "walk in - gulp three potions - switch the brains out". =)

Andreas V.