[CF-Devel] Re: the spell of conflict

Peter Mardahl peterm at tesla.EECS.Berkeley.EDU
Tue Dec 19 00:45:46 CST 2000

      Obviously there are still "issues" regarding conflict. I am happy to see it

      go in, but it will be very tricky to handle. With that in mind though, it

      will defn bring Lythander up to pace. Perhaps a spell for >40 or something?

Well, assuming I've implemented the conflict spell correctly and
haven't missed any flags, I think it is harmless in its current form.

I've been trying it out:
1)  In a room full of small trolls, ogres, and dark elves, it took
about a minute before anything started dying, and about 5 minutes
before 1/3 of the things had killed each other.

2)  In the wyvern nest, a wyvern surrounded by 5 other wyverns
survived for 1.5 minutes before dying.  After another 30 sec I
got bored and left.

3)  Three red dragons fighting each other:  there was one in the
middle getting attacked by two others.  This one lasted about 3
minutes before dying.

4)  I got no experience for any of these things

5)  Monsters under conflict will attack YOU if you're in range.

Given all that stuff, I do NOT see conflict as too powerful a spell
*at all*.  Mixes of monsters which are vulnerable to their own
spells kill themselves off anyway without conflict's help.

Regards,

PeterM