[CF-Devel] Sudden thought on acid

David Hurst dhurst at it.swin.edu.au
Tue Dec 19 22:07:50 CST 2000

While peterm will bite my head off for this, I shall say it anyway ;).

Realistically, acid is so unlikely to cause any real damage to items it
isn't funny. A piece of mithril or platinum would (I assume mithril
considering they dig it up pure)be so unreactive that acid would maybe take
off a milimeter an hour =). Where as, a large club, wielded by a rather
large force, say an elephant ;), would be able to pummel a piece of full
plate mail in a few seconds. Why is it, that out items have no durability
factor, and yet we have acid damage. For a much more fun and dare I say it,
realistic experience, acid should take off durability, which should be so
extraordinarily high for items like mithril and platinum that such forms of
damage could be ignored. Perhaps this is a project alittle like the # hands
stuff I was talking about. Long term ;). None the less it would solve all
our acid woes (when durability for example reached 0, one stat of the item
would be reduced once. If the item gets down to say 2, it can be repaired
(for a large sum of money) and thus no permanent affect has been made. On
the other hand, acid as an attack_type would more than certainly be an
extremely fast and painful form of damage, something to be truely scared of.
Plus it would quite happily flow straight through chain or ring mail
straight to the very flesh of the player, ouch! I thought perhaps we could
create an item of say "Animal Oil" that you could rub (once) into an item
and it would become immune to acid (just that item, and it wouldn't stop
damage), perhaps it could slowly wear off. Anyway, just some thought I just
had while sitting here attempting to work ;).

dnh