[CF-Devel] crossfire map editor.

Pertti Karppinen (OH6KTR) pjka at cc.jyu.fi
Wed Dec 20 07:50:01 CST 2000

On Mon, Dec 18, 2000 at 08:53:40PM -0800, Mark Wedel wrote:

       Just to recap:

       current crossedit apparantly has severe problems with newest versions of Xaw

      making it unusable.  So discussion has started on making a new crossedit.

The first step into this direction, would be the separation of crossedit and
crossserver source trees. This should be done before we move to
sourceforge.
<...>

      another method would be to keep it in C, but instead use a toolkit that has a

     common API set for both unix and windows.  Once again, saves porting effort, but

     this needs to be a pretty mainstream library.  If people running unix have to

     jump through a dozen hoops to get the library and have it set up (Because of

     various dependancies or other issues), this may not be ideal.  I'm presuming

     that windows would be distributed in binary form, so they won't need to jump

     through the hoops.

I still propose fltk. Only drawback for this API is "support for MacOS is
under development". On the good side is "Very small & fast portable 2-D
drawing library to hide Xlib and WIN32".

     http://sourceforge.net/projects/fltk

<...>

       Whichever option for development is chosen, I do have the following thoughts:

      1) Editor will be a separate package and not part of the server.

Absolutely.

      2) user can grab updated archetypes and image files for his editor to create

      maps.  In face, breaking the files generated from the 'arch' distribution off

      from the server may not be a bad idea in any case, as I get the feeling that if

      1.0 ends up being very stable, the archs will probably end up changing more than

      the source will.

Looks likely as fair amount balancing is still about to happend.

      3) user does not need map distribution to make new maps.  They can easily enough

      make a standalone set of maps and send it to whoever who can then link it into

      the the main distribution.

But we do need good documentation. And tutorials.
--
BSc. Pertti Karppinen <

     pjka at iki.fi

     >                   |'Bridge Players |
Systems Designer, University of Jyvaskyla, Finland    |      Do        |

     http://www.iki.fi/~pjka/

      | Office  : +358 14 260 2088 |      It        |
HAM: OH6KTR QTH: KP22UF  | Cellular: +358 40 564 0786 | on the Table'  |