[CF-Devel] crossfire map editor.

Mark Wedel mwedel at scruz.net
Fri Dec 22 23:53:38 CST 2000

"Pertti Karppinen (OH6KTR)" wrote:

      The first step into this direction, would be the separation of crossedit and

      crossserver source trees. This should be done before we move to

      sourceforge.

 Note that there is very little crossedit specific code in common.  So basically
just removing the crossedit directory would achieve this.

 And while a seperate distribution is a must have, it would still be nice if
that seperate distribution had/kept the same basic object functions, so a fix in
one fixes the other.  This is also helps in terms of consistency.  While the
object & map functions could be written special for the editor, if it stacks the
objects on the space different, you now get a place of what the player sees in
the editor is different when the map is played.

 A very general approach could of course be taken - the editor could know some
certain key values (like faces, and messages), but otherwise treat each object a
just a bunch of text.  In that way, it does not need to know the internals of
the object.  While this creates a very general editor, at the same time it
allows for a lot more errors to be made by the map maker.

      I still propose fltk. Only drawback for this API is "support for MacOS is

      under development". On the good side is "Very small & fast portable 2-D

      drawing library to hide Xlib and WIN32".

      http://sourceforge.net/projects/fltk

 I think whoever decides to write this will largely determine the toolkit (and
most all other factors) used.  and the editors could very well end up like the
clients - multiple editors, with potentially different features/UI depending on
the developer.  That probably is not an ideal approach, and there should
probably be at least one referance implementation of and editor (similar to the
clients), but that could just remain the current one for that matter.