[CF-Devel] acid and drain

David Hurst dhurst at it.swin.edu.au
Wed Dec 20 17:37:48 CST 2000

I agree with both Mark and AV. I personally see acid and drain as two
attack_types which as AV says, are so powerful that people quickly give out
immunity because it annoys them so much. Then because everyone quickly gets
immunity.. map makers don't mind putting it in for abit of fun. Drain also
has the special quality that it will kill avatars in one hit making a grim
reaper extar ordinarily powerful, thus players need immunity.

The solution I would most be happy with is durability, and then being able
to either pay for or use smithery to repair the item.. permanent damage
occuring only after all the durability has been destroyed (which will set
durability back to the initial value, but take the item down alittle (from
+3 to +2)). This though as Mark has pointed out, is not always "fun" and
that tends to be the important thing. Well I must point out that permanent
damage to items is DEFN not fun, after spending 2000pp on that plus +4 sword
then to have it taken back to +3 because of a naughty rust monster... (down
the wells) did not make me think "fun" =). Ahhh well, it isn't "fun" dieing
either, but in the long run it makes crossfire a much more fun game because
it become a challenge... perhaps this is true of acid also?

Drain doesn't pup up as much, or at least I haven't noticed it as much,
because all the standard rings give immunity to it, so you hardly ever
actually get affected at high levels by it. And what about adding life
stealing? is that just adding insult to injury? if it is, we will need to
give devourers something to balance, as life stealing was a major point in
the changes.

thought for food.

dnh