[CF-Devel] about acid & drain

Andreas Vogl andi.vogl at gmx.net
Wed Dec 20 16:30:18 CST 2000

We must face it: Acid and drain have been considered a great
nuisance both by most players and map-makers. That of course is
the reason why there are these easy-to-get immunities.
And that again caused map-makers to insert acid/drain-monsters
without particular care.

Before even thinking about making acid/drain "more nasty"
we must implement at least the following features:

o A serious way to "repair" the effects of acid-corrosion:

  Collecting artifacts is what CF-players usually enjoy
  most. If we carelessly ruin them, players get annoyed real
  hard.

o Ways to figure out a monster's attacktypes *before* learning
  the hard way (Maybe a spell, call it "analyze monster"?):

  A lot of high level special monsters have acid/drain/depletion-
  attacktypes just for the fun of it. Nobody cared about these,
  since players were supposed to wear immunities at those levels.
  It would surely suck to loose 10 exp-levels or have stuff
  corroded just because this "Fred, the Big Demon" had a few more
  attacktypes than you would have expected.

While I actually do like the idea of items with different states
of quality, the thought of having to reduce grimreapers/rustmonsters..
does not please me.
Search for those monsters with grep in the mapdir, and you will
instantly know the reason.

Andreas V.