[CF List] Re: png images

Jonathan Taporg taporg at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 12 01:25:26 CDT 2000

Mark Wedel wrote:

       I don't know if that link better proves your case of needing 24

     bit

      palette, orproves the case that the current colors are fine.

Well, if nothing else, it means that it's a fair sample :)

      I opened it up, and generally find it very difficult to notice any

      difference between the columns.  And this is a situation where I am

      taking my leisure and putting my nose 6" from the screen.  This is

      not something people are likely to do while actually playing the

      game.  Maybe others can look at this and give their opinion on the

      quality to remove factors of monitor or display card.

Maybe, in that case, I'm just more sensitive to the difference.
And I'll grant you that maybe it is only for me that considers the
higher color graphics better.  But I think that we can agree that,
while there may not alone justify switching, I think that there is
enough evidence that a reason to allow full color is not
nonexistant.

Which is a relevant point, because ...

       I'm not sure what imlib does when you try to load an image which

     it

      can't allocate colors for (like on an 8 bit display).  I can think

      of two behaviours:

I made a point of checking what imlib does.  On 8-bit displays, the
loaded images are automatically dithered to a pre-defined palette of
common colors.  Furthermore, 8-bit imlib does not allocate a private
colormap, but merely takes whichever colors it can get.  To test it,
I ran the client in 8-bit mode, and many of the images were indeed
dithered and looked different than under 24 bit mode.  Thus, for the
GTK client, at least, it doesn't really make a difference if the
images are allowed to be 24 bit.  I'm not sure about the other
clients, though, ... once again, you'd probably know better than me.

      I would be curious to see what the true color does to the actual

      image sizes themselves.  I think that is also a consideration, as

      there is also a tradeoff between nicer looking images and the

      increased space & bandwidth they cause.

The beauty is, while the entire color space would be 24 bit, 256
colors should be sufficent for any single 32x32 image, so images
could still be saved palettized.  There would be no size increase.

-j