[CF List] CF 0.95.6 World Map linkage errors (lost-at-sea HOWTO)

Frank McKenney frank_mckenney at mindspring.com
Wed Jul 12 15:37:44 CDT 2000

Note: I posted this at Bugzilla, but I'm sending a copy to The List
      on the assumption that not every Crossfire player carefully
      tracks everything posted there.

The maps shipped with Crossfire 0.95.6 have at least two linkage errors.
One is nasty, but hard to hit, and the second, while easier to run into,
appears to be only a minor irritation.

Lost At Sea

   Warning: Do not try this unless your character knows "word of recall"
            or you have a "word of recall" scroll.

Exit Navar to the countryside, and position your character in the SW of
the four squares representing Navar.  From here, go 2SW, 1S, and then
1N.  You will notice a change in your environment:  You're on map
world_c2 at 20,5, a spot that's usually hard to get to, and there's
"nothing" north of you.

Now don your bathing trunks and go 5S.  You appear to be completely
lost, but (as you quickly determine from the 'mapinfo command) you are
actually on map world_c1 at 20,0, and from that square there _is_ no
land in sight.

Countryside "hiccups"

   Warning: I did not encounter any serious problems playing around in
            this generally inaccessible map section, but that doesn't
            mean there's nothing nasty there.