[CF-Devel] throw away xmbs? (yes please)

Andreas Vogl andi.vogl at gmx.net
Wed Nov 1 07:43:40 CST 2000

On Mi, 1.11.00, Jan E. wrote:

      > There is no real argument to support the xbms. Thats nonsense.

      I'm using xbms with caching turned off because this seems to be the

      fastest setting when playing on a remote server over a slow link.

I assume that you play only for code-testing, therefor this argument
doesn´t seem fair to me. =)
On using xbms a player would miss a great part of the fun. I´ve played
on voldsbooks for ages, without ever meeting someone using xbms.

Even more, there are some real in-game disadvantages too, arising from
the fact that you can only see one pic per square (e.g. a hidden exit
under a chair is a major pain with xbms).

And don´t forget the huge sensless amount of extra work for map-makers:
If I want to create a new item I have to draw THREE pics!
Please think about that before saying: "let´s just keep xbms that won´t
hurt anybody..." - It does hurt innovative map-makers a lot!

I think the xbms just give a bad impression of the game. They make it
look old and dusty. Keeping them for convenience produces lots of
extra work that people are less and less willing to take.

Ah yes, btw - we are still looking for someone to draw the xbms for
the new race/class images... Who wants to do it? Jan E. perhaps?
Now where are all the xbm-lovers? Step forward please :-))

For the mentioned reasons I strongly recommend to remove the xbms.

Andreas V.