[CF-Devel] The CVS server must move.... Eventually. How about sourceforge?

Peter Mardahl peterm at tesla.EECS.Berkeley.EDU
Wed Nov 1 22:38:11 CST 2000

       Presumably, when we do decide to move, Peter can shut down access to the

      current server off boltzmann and everyone wait a few days for the one on

      sourceforg to get all set up.

Most likely a few hours, not a few days.

       Of bigger importance to me is be able to import all the cvs log and tags and

      other cvs database information that has been generated on boltzmann.

The FAQ on source forge says that we can simply tar up our existing
CVSROOT and give it to them and it will work.

Moving to source forge seems both easy and beneficial in many ways.

The only downsides I have been able to see so far are that their
servers are slow (boltzmann has very little load), and we would
have to have all the developers re-register at sourceforge.

I noticed a few more "up" sides to the site:
a)  message forums
b)  survey forms (i.e., we could actually vote on directions to take in cf)
c)  automated mailing list addition/maintenance
d)  bug tracking
e)  task tracking

PeterM