[CF-Devel] teleport/connection bug

Andreas Vogl andi.vogl at gmx.net
Thu Nov 2 18:47:29 CST 2000

On Fri 3.11.00, Jan E. wrote:

      There is one bug out, still in crossfire since a long time and kill the

      server.

      If you go for the mopoons quest in lake city, you get teleported

      when you say the password "Kashu".

      [...] when saying "Kashu", the server often crashes badly.

      This also happens on other points in cf where the teleport mashine

      of mopoons is used.

      I never can see why, it happens some time and some times not.

Yes this bug is appearing on many places. I think I have some more
precis information about it:

This bug seems to appear whenever a player is standing on a teleporter
while activating it (via magic_ear/button/lever) thus being beaming to
a different spot. When this happens, sometimes the system crashes.

Once this happened on MiDS' server so we noticed that there was an
errormessage before crash: "Internal error in push_button((null))".

My theory about what happens is the following:
The events get processed in the wrong order somehow. The player gets
beamed away before the the process of activating button/lever/magic_ear
and teleporter are fully finished. Then the push_button() function gets
a null-pointer instead of the player object that it should get.

Maybe some CF-guru like Jan E. could fix this bug? =)
It would really be a blessing because crashing bugs suck SO much!

Andreas V.