[CF-Devel] send experience types to the server

Mark Wedel mwedel at scruznet.com
Sat Nov 4 00:53:22 CST 2000

Michael Toennies wrote:

      Hi

      What i find very uannyoing in the current clients is the fact

      that the skill cmd is the only way to access the value of the experience

      values.

 Different playing styles I suppose.  I only periodically look at the experience
values (both the total and the individual classes) to get some idea how soon
until I gain a level in that class.  And binding the skills command to a single
key (like S), makes that pretty painless.

      I prefer to extend the cmd who sends the normal experience. Simply send also

      the skill experience level who changed too. That should do a byte +int.

 Well, 6 bytes for each skill (4 for experience, 1 for the level, 1 byte to
describe what we are sending).  Still, not a big deal, since the stats command
is smart enough to only send stuff that changes - while some of these categories
may change often, others are pretty static simply because you can't use the
skills very often.

      BTW: as general, when i remember right, not allways when you send more

      bytes,

      it effects the bandwitch. Because the information in the internet is send as

      packages. So, there must be many space in the always very short commands in

      cf,

      to send more information with the same speed.

 I really don't want to code with this is in.  A few notes:

 TCP/IP does have a fair number of bytes in overhead, so if sending only 5 bytes
for example, that is small in comparison to all the overhead it needs (30-40
bytes I think?)

 But minimum packet lengths are a measure of the transmission medium.  Ethernet
has some minimum packet size, while ATM does not (ATM in fact uses fixed length
packets of a fairly small size, so if you were going over ATM, you  would try to
stay within the packet size perhaps).

 But also, since the OS (and even the server) does buffering, exactly the size
of the packet as it goes over the wire is really hard to say.  several short
commands may get grouped into one packet.