[CF-Devel] Accidents and neglected players

Mark Wedel mwedel at scruznet.com
Mon Nov 6 23:28:17 CST 2000

Peter Mardahl wrote:

      > Thats a real good idea!

      I'm glad you like the no-die area.

      > But now we have the race patch, where you start in a building.

      > First, you see the char on town center, then in building, then teleported

      > to center again. Thats confusing.

      I agree.  If I could have done it better in a reasonable amount of time,

      I would have.  Everything I tried to get a player to appear in the

      class-choice map at first failed in some bizarre fashion or other.

      Use of *any* other map than city/city caused problems.

      I tried many things which SHOULD have worked but did not, and instead

      caused some weird bug.

      In the end, I went with a kluge which has the effect you see.  Would you

      please take a crack at removing that kluge?

 Either privately or publicly, can you say what you tried and the end result?

 Otherwise, I have a feeling other people might try the same things you did,
which ends up being a waste of time.

 But the other problem is that right now the starting city is used more for just
where to start a new character - it is also where characters return to in not
permadeath mode.  I have a feeling that we really don't want to have characters
return to the class selection map.

 I personally like the idea of characters (in not permadeath mode) returning to
a building (like the city hall) in scorn.  Someplace where you will basically be
pretty much only if you died - your not going to typically go there.

 As far as it being a non killing area:  If its easy to prevent 'accidental'
killings, probably a good idea.  By this, I mean someone accidentally casting a
spell the summoned monsters into the area, and left, with those monsters
becoming hostile towards other and killing them or the like.

 But it strikes me that no matter what we do, other malicious players can always
set up lightning walls or the like that try to kill the player as they appear.
Maybe not in the city hall map in this example, but perhaps as they exit the
city hall they get zapped then.  And if you prohibit it from the city itself,
then perhaps the spaces around the city, etc.

 One solution for this at least in terms of appearing in the city hall would be
to have savebeds there, so if players do get zapped as they leave city hall,
they would re-appear in city hall and could then send a message to the admin (or
some other friendly person that can take care of the situation), and go to the
save bed and quit the game.  But with the current save mechanism, you can save
anywhere you want anyways.