[CF-Devel] new savebed concept

Andreas Vogl andi.vogl at gmx.net
Tue Nov 7 07:09:44 CST 2000

on Tue 7.11.00, Mark W. wrote:

      But the other problem is that right now the starting city is used more

      for just where to start a new character - it is also where characters

      return to in not permadeath mode. [...]

      I personally like the idea of characters (in not permadeath mode)

      returning to a building (like the city hall) in scorn. Someplace where

      you will basically be pretty much only if you died - your not going to

      typically go there.

      [...] it strikes me that no matter what we do, other malicious players

      can always set up lightning walls or the like that try to kill the

     player

      as they appear. Maybe not in the city hall map in this example, but

      perhaps as they exit the city hall they get zapped then. And if you

      prohibit it from the city itself, then perhaps the spaces around the

      city, etc. [...]

Quite frankly: I dislike the current concept that players get beamed to
scorn center after death. I think this is a relict from times where
CF was pure hack 'n slash (like "gauntlet") with only a very small mapset.

Dungeons that are not linked very closely to scorn don't get played
because it's such a pain in the rare to travel all the way back after
dying. This is sooo stupid. Just look at the teleporters in the appartment
and all those ships in scorn harbour - Isn't this a sign that there is
something wrong here? If we want to have larger, more complex map-sets
(and I'm sure we do), then we need a change!

In my opinion, the only reasonable way to go is have players wake up
on the last-applied "bed of reality" (= savebed). Hence, we would write
the
location of the current wake-up-position into the player struct
and -file. This can surely be done without breaking existing player files.

I'm willing to do the coding myself if people are in favour of this idea.
Also, I will remove all reality beds located in "insecure" areas
(e.g. the one in wiztower). It mustn't be possible to get stuck on a map
with reality beds, but that doesn't even need much change.

The main advantages of this new savebed-concept would be:
- long jorneys on beautiful large, complex map-sets are possible
- no danger of accidental player-killing after wake up
- players could actually "feel at home" on places other than scorn
- CF would be a better game (hehe)

Please tell me what you think. =)

Andreas V.

--