[CF-Devel] severe bug in CVS!!

Mark Wedel mwedel at scruznet.com
Tue Nov 7 23:23:53 CST 2000

Andreas Vogl wrote:

      I just downloaded the recent CF-server from CVS.

      After installing I realized that signs didn´t work properly

      anymore. - Yes, simple "signs", like in scorn center.

      When I apply a sign I get only about half of the message, the

      rest is missing. Sometimes even more trouble happens, like

      my client crashes (cfclient) or the map screws up.

      A mysterious and definitly very new bug.

      Please try to fix this as fast as possible, because the actual CVS

      version is completely broken now.

 I believe I have fixed this and will check it in later tonight.

 The problem was my fix for long item names in socket/item.c.  I'm not sure why
there was a bug, since it appears that query_base_name should always return a
static buffer of at least 256 bytes, and changing the 127'th value in that
should not make a difference.

 Even more interesting is that at least in my playing, it could take quite a
while for the bug to show up (I was getting it on my system as I use debug
malloc, and it was getting fence post corruption and the like).

 The severity of the bug is somewhat random, since the data being written could
be in one of many areas, so depending on your system type, it may be overwriting
buffer areas, or it could be overwriting object areas, etc.

 In any case, I have played with a change in the way I terminate the buffer, and
the long item still seems to work as well as not having any apparant memory
corruption.