[CF-Devel] Crossfire CVS mailing list

Rick Tanner leaf at real-time.com
Wed Nov 8 16:21:16 CST 2000

On Wed, 8 Nov 2000, Peter Mardahl wrote:

{snip}

      I asked for a special crossfire-cvs list, but the maintainers

      of crossfire.real-time.com haven't got back to me about it.

Ughh, I thought I forwarded or cc'd a copy of these messages to the list.

updates so they wouldn't get posted to the crossfire-devel list. Let me
know how you would like to proceed. (set it up, see what the devel list
has to say, etc.)

Thanks!

============
Here is the reply from Mark.

 I think there should probably be more discussion.

 Another thing which may help out, but I'm not sure how feasible, is to
have the cvs repository reduce the number of messages - have it digest
them or the like.

 Of course, the users who don't like it could also use procmail to avoid
it.

 There could also be misunderstanding about what the developer list is
for. IMO, it is really for those people who are or are thinking about
writing actual code and the like.  It isn't the list for 'woudn't this be
a neet feature, or 'why don't you add this'.  IMO, the more general list
is the place for that, as anyone can comment on the validity of those
options.

 Now those discussions may eventually get moved to the developer list
after someone says 'yeah - I will do that, but now whats the best way to
actually implement it'.

 I think you have the lists send out a message once a month to subscribers
letting them know of their password and how to get off?  IF so, then
perhaps also adding a description of the lists and what each ones purpose
is might be useful also, so stuff will remain on the right list.

 OTOH, if it isn't hard to set up a mailing list, I guess you could have a
crossfire-cvs which only gets the cvs mailing messages (I imagine you can
add a filter so it only takes them from whatever host, ie a moderated
list), and people could opt in/opt out as they want.  If possible, the
reply-to on that should be crossfire-devel however, so that if people have
questions/comments on a cvs commit, they can easily reply to it and bring
up thoughts about it.