[CF-Devel] "reflect spell/missile" is working too perfect now!

Jan Echternach echter at informatik.uni-rostock.de
Thu Nov 9 04:21:34 CST 2000

On Wed, Nov 08, 2000 at 11:07:22PM +0100, Andreas Vogl wrote:

      When a player had an item with attribute "reflect spell/missile"

      equiped, this didn´t work on 100% of all incoming projectiles.

      A meteor storm for instance used to make short work of a wannabe-

      hero with reflect spell. Maybe that was due to a bug in the old

      attack-code, but the effect was surely desired - and needed!

I didn't intend to fix this bug with that patch, but I think the bug
was that whenever another spell object was put on a firebullet or
similar spell objects, check_fired_arch() was called which let the
firebullet explode if it happened to be below the player after it was
reflected, because reflect spell/missile is checked in the movement
code, not in check_fired_arch().

      Please reduce the success-chance of reflect spell/missile to 90%.

      That is very important for gameplay.

Even though I'm happy that I finally fixed this strange bug, I agree
that such a change is needed now.

FLAG_REFL_MISSILE is only used in move_arrow().

FLAG_REFL_SPELL is used when a bolt is moved, when a "fired arch" (fire
bullets, magic bullets etc.) is moved, and after get_pointed_target()
with spells like finger of death and holy wrath.

I suggest implementing the following protections/immunities:

  arrows/thrown objects:  80%
  spell missiles:         90%
  bolt spells:           100%
  finger of death:       100%