[CF-Devel] Metaserver information.

Peter Mardahl peterm at tesla.EECS.Berkeley.EDU
Fri Nov 10 02:51:02 CST 2000

I think this is a cool idea, I'd add this though:
1)  Hostname
2)  # players
3)  Version
4)  Description

Version is the hard part.  How about setting creating a VERSION file
which contains the current date, for people using CVS, and
a tag, for people using releases?

So a server running a snapshot would report this:

CVS 2000/12/01
or
Version 97.0
for a release.

The idea is to change VERSION every day in the CVS via a crontab, OR
modify the commit process so that every commit causes VERSION to be
updated.

PeterM

       I was doing some work on the addition of metaserver reporting.  The basic pl

     an

      is that servers that decide to do so will contact the metaserver telling it t

     hat

      they are alive.  Then people can just look at the metaserver and see what

      servers are out there and which one they want to connect to.

       So the question I have is what information should be reported to the

      metaserver.  What I have so far:

      hostname of server.  Note that the metaserver will determine IP address on it

      own based on where the packet comes from.

      number of active players on server.

      short description/note:  Settable by server admin - this is a brief message o

      less than 100 characters that will be reported to the metaserver.  This could

      be

      something like 'latest CVS version.  No player killing.  located in n.

      california'.

       The last time the server has sent a message will be tracked by the metaserve

     r,

      so it will report that information - if the last packet received was more tha

     n a

      few hours, you could probably bet that that server is down for now.  But the

      main point is that the server doesn't need to report uptime to the metaserver

     .

       Is there any data I'm missing or other data people think might be useful?

      Since there is already a comment that the server admin can set up, this would

      basically be data that the program has readily available.  One thought I had

      would be for the server to send the protocol versions - this could be used to

      get a rough idea of the server version, but I'm not really sure how useful th

     at

      is and if it may be more confusing (what does 1026 mean for example).

      crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com