[CF-Devel] Metaserver information.

Mark Wedel mwedel at scruz.net
Fri Nov 10 02:02:05 CST 2000

 I was doing some work on the addition of metaserver reporting.  The basic plan
is that servers that decide to do so will contact the metaserver telling it that
they are alive.  Then people can just look at the metaserver and see what
servers are out there and which one they want to connect to.

 So the question I have is what information should be reported to the
metaserver.  What I have so far:

hostname of server.  Note that the metaserver will determine IP address on its
own based on where the packet comes from.

number of active players on server.

short description/note:  Settable by server admin - this is a brief message of
less than 100 characters that will be reported to the metaserver.  This could be
something like 'latest CVS version.  No player killing.  located in n.
california'.

 The last time the server has sent a message will be tracked by the metaserver,
so it will report that information - if the last packet received was more than a
few hours, you could probably bet that that server is down for now.  But the
main point is that the server doesn't need to report uptime to the metaserver.

 Is there any data I'm missing or other data people think might be useful?
Since there is already a comment that the server admin can set up, this would
basically be data that the program has readily available.  One thought I had
would be for the server to send the protocol versions - this could be used to
get a rough idea of the server version, but I'm not really sure how useful that
is and if it may be more confusing (what does 1026 mean for example).