[CF-Devel] PR (Partial resistance)

dnh at hawthorn.csse.monash.edu.au dnh at hawthorn.csse.monash.edu.au
Sun Nov 12 03:29:47 CST 2000

Well, I have recently been in contact with Marc(I hope its a c? =}) about
this issue and he has forwarded the Japanese crews patch on it. He tells
me it is old and probably not much use, but I think with this patch there
may be enough context for a good programmer finally start the task. I
think we are going to need a team of at least two programmers who can
handel the server side code (smiles nicely at Jan =)) and one person to
handle balance of items etc. Considering I am currently balancing the gods
I can undertake the later and with alittle luck discussions can start
again.

PR I believe is the biggest issue facing CF server code, as map
making/item making and monster making all come down to a basic need for
much more complicated levels of resistance, because players get to
powerful for protection to do much at all. The sooner this project can be
undertaken the better for me as I don't want to create any maps until PR
is in due to balance issues.

To go about it would be basically to follow these steps;

1) Implement a working addative resistances system, much like the current
armour is for physical, these resistance systems would do the same just be
based on another "armour" type value

2) Implement this code to all resistance types

3) Determine values for the current resistance and immunity and write a
quick program to sort through archs and change all to partial (ie prot ->
33%, Immunity -> 90%)

4) Implement this system for monsters, again using a quick program to run
through archs and change defaults.

5) Jump up and down and celebrate if working ;)

6) Send patch to CVS

7) Test very vigorously, will need to take several chars from beginning
to end (110 or so) trying EVERY item and fiddling with a few values to
make some items alittle better or worse, and monsters balanced well also.

If all that could be achieved I think we will no longer have
warrior/wizard/priest balance issues as warriors will now have a way to
survive that awesome dragon breath, and wizards will have a harder time
killing some monsters that previously would have been easy.

Can anyone even remotely interested in joining this team, be it for beta
testing/balancing or the coding itself, please mail me. Then once we know
how many people are around, the process can be divided and started. I
can send a copy of the patch to anyone interested also, but I ask not to
start working on it without telling someone (so we don't do the same thing
and waste time)

I think anyone for their interest in this project and hope it can finally
get off the ground.

dnh (Darth_bob)