[CF-Devel] PR (Partial resistance) (fwd)

dnh at hawthorn.csse.monash.edu.au dnh at hawthorn.csse.monash.edu.au
Sun Nov 12 05:15:39 CST 2000

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 11:49:32 +0100
From: Michael Toennies <

     mtx93 at tzi.de

     dnh at hawthorn.csse.monash.edu.au

Subject: RE: [CF-Devel] PR (Partial resistance)

Hi
I like the idea very much, because i also think about it.

What we really need is a protection value in %, that will also will
makes items much for flexible.

What we also need, is to show the resistance to the player.
I have just finished a litte bar for my client to show the
player his resistance factor.

What we need for this is, to add a update to the STAT cmd so the client
knows then the value.

Because at the moment we become a "you feel hot like..." message if a res.
value
change. We can skip this messages and let the client generate then when
needed, so
we also safe some cmd and bandwitch with it.

Specially if you drink potions and go in heavy fights, you often get killed
when your
immunities wear of. This is often really annyoing because there comes some
physical.

If you go in heavy fights, you often gets some lags, makes it impossible to
safe you
if your hps starts to go down. Also, the "wear off" messages of the potions
vanished in
the mass of messages you got in the text windows, even if you toggle the
message level.

Much better will be, if you lose the potion protection in 10 or 5% steps
every second,
after they wear off! And this can then the player see in the resistance bar.

This will be very nice in game play, also for newbies who try out items and
potions, they will
see the effect.

This is also good "game play" because if there is a potion of fire res in
real and you hold the
finger in a fire, you will find it out very directly. :)

MichToen

      Well, I have recently been in contact with Marc(I hope its a c? =}) about

      this issue and he has forwarded the Japanese crews patch on it. He tells

      me it is old and probably not much use, but I think with this patch there

      may be enough context for a good programmer finally start the task. I

      think we are going to need a team of at least two programmers who can

      handel the server side code (smiles nicely at Jan =)) and one person to

      handle balance of items etc. Considering I am currently balancing the gods

      I can undertake the later and with alittle luck discussions can start

      again.

      PR I believe is the biggest issue facing CF server code, as map

      making/item making and monster making all come down to a basic need for

      much more complicated levels of resistance, because players get to

      powerful for protection to do much at all. The sooner this project can be

      undertaken the better for me as I don't want to create any maps until PR

      is in due to balance issues.

      To go about it would be basically to follow these steps;

      1) Implement a working addative resistances system, much like the current

      armour is for physical, these resistance systems would do the same just be

      based on another "armour" type value

      2) Implement this code to all resistance types

      3) Determine values for the current resistance and immunity and write a

      quick program to sort through archs and change all to partial (ie prot ->

      33%, Immunity -> 90%)

      4) Implement this system for monsters, again using a quick program to run

      through archs and change defaults.

      5) Jump up and down and celebrate if working ;)

      6) Send patch to CVS

      7) Test very vigorously, will need to take several chars from beginning

      to end (110 or so) trying EVERY item and fiddling with a few values to

      make some items alittle better or worse, and monsters balanced well also.

      If all that could be achieved I think we will no longer have

      warrior/wizard/priest balance issues as warriors will now have a way to

      survive that awesome dragon breath, and wizards will have a harder time

      killing some monsters that previously would have been easy.

      Can anyone even remotely interested in joining this team, be it for beta

      testing/balancing or the coding itself, please mail me. Then once we know

      how many people are around, the process can be divided and started. I

      can send a copy of the patch to anyone interested also, but I ask not to

      start working on it without telling someone (so we don't do the same thing

      and waste time)

      I think anyone for their interest in this project and hope it can finally

      get off the ground.

      dnh (Darth_bob)

      crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com