[CF-Devel] PR (Partial resistance)

Mark Wedel mwedel at scruz.net
Sun Nov 12 22:24:29 CST 2000

     dnh at hawthorn.csse.monash.edu.au

      wrote:

      3) Determine values for the current resistance and immunity and write a

      quick program to sort through archs and change all to partial (ie prot ->

      33%, Immunity -> 90%)

 This actually does not need to be done right away.  For testing purposes, it
may be easier to add something like this to the item loading function:

 If protected/vulnerable/immune to attacktype, assign default value to the
relevant protected field.

 This at least gets you up and running quickly, and probably should be done
anyways (with a debugging statement), simply becauses there may be old maps out
there that don't get converted right away.

      4) Implement this system for monsters, again using a quick program to run

      through archs and change defaults.

 Note that unless you are using different default values for items & monsters,
#3 and #4 are the same, since the archetype format is the same.

 Now there are some issues that may be of debate.  Like should immunity potions
really be 100% or instead something like 90%.  Same for some monsters.

 Also, if/when the protected, immune, and vulnerable fields go away, i think
there may be some objects that use those for non obvious purposes (I think the
gods code did so at one time).  That ability will be gone.

      5) Jump up and down and celebrate if working ;)

 I actually don't think getting it working will be that hard.  Getting it
balanced will be the much harder part, as that entails twiddling values of the
object, running again, seeing if it works out correctly, etc.

 As a side note, currently armour in the object structure is an 8 bit signed
value (-127 to 127).  If we presume the vulnerable equals -100 protection
(double damage which is currently the case), you probably want to use 16 bit
values to reduce the danger of overflow if someone has a few vulnerable items.