[CF-Devel] savebed feature is done

Michael Toennies mtx93 at tzi.de
Mon Nov 13 03:41:59 CST 2000

      Andreas Vogl wrote:

      > - The feature can be disabled in "include/config.h", in case that

      >   someone doesn´t like it. (Per default it is enabled)

      > When there are no objections I´ll put it on cvs very soon.

       This is a more generic note and just not to Andreas:

       I know it has been the default for a long time to put various features in

      config.h.  However, please try to also add a command line option

      and not have

      the code be compile time dependant (If this is already done in

      this case, my

      apologies).

       When I check in the metaserver changes, I have also added a

      'settings' file

      which sets in lib which can be used to control most of this even

      without command

      line options.  Command line options still take precedence over

      the settings

      file.

       I really want to try and get rid as much compile time dependent code as

      possible.  This reduces bugs (as that seemingly unused function

      that you delete

      will now result in immediate linkage errors and not when the first time to

      switch config.h finds the error), and also makes binary

      distributions that much

      more friendly/possible.

       Right now, for many of the options, someone who grabs a binary package is

      basically at the whim of whatever flags were used in config.h to

      compile the

      executable.

       Having command line options/settings file also makes it easier to debug

      problems with these non default behaviours - instead of having to

      recompile the

      code, just insert the appropriate run-time switch, and away you go.

All true.

The point is also, that we will get much more #ifdefs in the systems
modules:
If i convert the server code to windows. I want make it so of course, that
we have
one source for all systems.

I we do it right, we will have a pretty seperated source, so game changings
will not effect
the cross platfrom code.

Best way is, to seperate game code and modules totaly from "system code". I
don't look in the
server code so deeply at the moment but at most project which not start as
cross platform, it
should cost some work.

So, please, if you make changes now to the code hold in mind that it should
be
prepared to cross platform style.

MichToen