[CF-Devel] Armour type resistance

Mark Wedel mwedel at scruz.net
Tue Nov 14 21:52:10 CST 2000

     dnh at hawthorn.csse.monash.edu.au

      wrote:

      Well, anyway, I think resistance that works like armour would be perfect

      for our needs, although I do wonder about such items as the wizards hat,

      it has many many protections. That item plus the ring of the elementals

      could be one heck of a combination =)

 They obviously get balanced out.  IF they have one heck of a number of
protections, then maybe they keep all of them but at only 10% level.  Or the
number is reduced, but the value goes up.

      Perhaps PR should only work for the major attack_types?

      Magic/Fire/Ice/Elec/God_Power? and of course physical which is just

      armour. Although if physical is armour, what then is the purpose of

      protected phys? Wouldn't it be better to convert protected armours into

      arm +50% or something? (obviously not 50%). Hmmmmm

 For simplicity, the array of protections will be equal to the number of
attacks.  Some may not have much effect.  For things like confusion, fear,
drain, ..., the only really effect would be to reduce duration of the spell
effects and the amount of exp drained.

 So if you got hit by a confusion attach that would normally last for 100 ticks,
but you have 80% protection to confusion, it only lasts 20 ticks on you.  This
would mean that things like 10% protection in those areas may not do much.

 The alternative would be for adjustment to the saving throw to be affected by
this.  80% equals a +8 save, so you are much less likely to be affected, but if
you are, you still get full duration.

 I would say that only one or the other should be done - decrease time you are
affected, or increase the saving throw.  Doing both might be too much a benefit.

 protected/immune to physical would lack meaning.  Items that have that should
be given some armour value instead.