[CF-Devel] lag

Michael Toennies mtx93 at tzi.de
Wed Nov 15 12:30:32 CST 2000

Hi

One thing dnh says, is very true.

With some lag (it must not be the big lag), you got problems with casting
monsters.

It seems, that they can target you easier (because you dont move so
fast/react in the
same second) and the cone spells like fire/cold but also lightning do much
more damage.

I remember that i play a server in usa and the skulls in the mansion in
scorn kills me so
fast that i even cant run away.

So, dnh's is right when he feels that the res can be higher for good play,
the effect on him
with lag gives him the feeling. The problem is, that for players with less
lag the prot. value
is ok.

Well, calculating lag effects are a major task in real time games. Most
games like quake&Co. have
the same problem in moving actions.

The word for it is "Client Prediction". It is the technique to "guess"
and/or calculate the moving
action of players with different lags to make them looking and playing as
all with the same lag
(and make it looking as there is no lag).

We can simply implement the in cf. Not in the movement of course, but in the
damage.
To calculate the lag to the client is easy. We don't need a real exact
value.

What we simply need is a scaling factor for the damage/protection, which
slightly change it
depending on the lag of the connected client.

This sounds much more strange at it is. The "you got more damage with lag
effect" is real
and this is an easy methode to prefent it.

MichToen