[CF-Devel] Pr (especially Jan)

Mark Wedel mwedel at scruz.net
Thu Nov 16 01:27:58 CST 2000

 This is a more general note and not a direct reply to anything.

1) The simple approach is usually the best first approach.  Its faster to do,
has less bugs (less code = less bugs), and can be extended later.

2) We should keep in mind inexperience players.  I have seen lots of various
suggestions which seems to be fairly non intuitive.  Now granted, have two 30%
protections will not equal 60%, but if two 30% protections for fire get you 46%
and two 30% protections get you 53% due to limits or other factors, I can see
this starting to get confusing for new players.

 I also think that balance and usuablity might be interesting.

 If for example the most protection you can get from items is 50%, that won't be
too hard to get (if we presume as has been suggested that items with normal
protections get converted to 30%, that means two such items do so).  The end
result there is that people will just wear two items of protection for each
attacktype.

 OTOH, if you use the armor conversion and have no practical limit, players may
now want to use 4 items of 30% protection to get that 75% protection limit.  So
players now have to choose what they want to go for, and I find that more
preferable.