[CF-Devel] General notes on the latest gods

Peter Mardahl peterm at tesla.EECS.Berkeley.EDU
Thu Nov 16 13:24:47 CST 2000

      Another unique prayer that seems suitable for Lythander could be a

      "glue" spell that casts a small cone consisting of glue that stays on

      the map for a while.

      Gaea might have a similar spell that creates a spider web, maybe in

      form of a FBULLET (fireball etc.) spell.

I really like these ideas, especially for Gaea.  I'd rather see
it for Gaea.

      > Mostrai:  I disagree with Wall of Thorns....  That one seems like

      > a Gaea spell if ever there was one

      > How about a prayer of sharpening, which adds to the players wc

      > temporarily?  That won't help gain Wis experience, it's true, but

      > the holy word they got is a very good one.

      I'd prefer a spell that actually creates something, e.g. "[create] holy

      axe" which creates a very good axe (probably weaponmagic attack type)

      that dissolves after a while.  Different prayers for different weapons

      are possible, e.g. one prayer for a weapon with much damage and low

      weapon class, and another prayer for a weapon with AC bonus, low weapon

      class but less damage.

How about a spell which animates ALL the weapons in range, including ones
in the inventory of the enemies close by (but not in players inventories),
and sets them all against whatever enemy creatures are about?  This could
be an impressive effect.  A maelstrom of mixed clubs, swords, daggers,
maces, all turned on their former owners.  Easy to balance too.
Short duration, short range.

      First of all, Gaeans don't want to attack.  ;-)  I remember killing a

      titan with create fire wall (create several fire walls along a wall,

      then trick the titan into running into them).  It was rather easy and I

      didn't have to fight the titan directly.  Indeed, it was the titan's

      greed for my blood which killed it.  This should be the way how Gaeans

      fight.  If wall of thorns isn't strong enough, make it stronger.  Or

      add other passive attack spells.  A very powerful spell could be

      "create wood" which creates trees at all tiles in the area of effect

      that are not blocked, and these trees attack the caster's enemies until

      they get destroyed or dissolve.

Well, these are pretty cool ideas.  Create wood should work underneath
monsters.

      Even though it's kind of interesting if opposing gods have similar high

      level prayers, I wouldn't like Gaea to have a prayer that's so similar

      to face of death.  Gaea wiping out half of a map full of monsters would

      just look wrong, since everybody is used to the idea that hostile

      monsters only disappear when killed.

I'm a bit confused.  You realize that the intention is that the
peaceful monsters stay around right?  They just no longer fight
or give experience if they die, or spellcast.  Furthermore, it is hard
to get items out of them.  Arguably, Gaea needs such a spell more than
Devourers, who has many other ways of attack.

      > Ruggilli:  What does "Enemy God:  All" mean?  A generally acting

      > holy word?  I think NOT.  No generally acting holy word.

      >  If

      > you're going to put "Immolation" under a column, it belongs under

      > "attack types" and not spells.  The weapon class and dam of

      I'm wondering if fireborns can inflict immolation on others using their

      flame touch attack, because it doesn't do any physical damage.

Not with flame touch, they can't.  Hmmm.  If we add a physical
component to flame touch (or if there already is), then it can.

      > I disagree with Jan's idea on having a large fireball.  I would prefer

      > to reserve most fire, cold, electricity "magical" attacks to mages.

      > Priests are supposed to be more spritual.

      The "gates of hell" prayer wouldn't do the damage directly.  It opens a

      portal for some original hell fire to get on the map (which might have

      pure AT_FIRE attack type).  The effect can be made more interesting:  A

      hellfire ball explodes at the target location, some map tiles will keep

      burning for a while, and if the caster has bad luck, a demon or two are

      sucked through the portal and will attack the caster because they

      didn't like this.

      However, an acid spell is also very reasonable and interesting.

No harm in having both spells I suppose.  It is sort of in character.
Any displaced demons ought to attack anything in range though,
including the player.

      > Valriel

We need some good ideas for Valriel.  How about a holy aura, like
sanctuary or flaming aura, except which blinds anyone who comes near?

PeterM