[CF-Devel] General notes on the latest gods

Jan Echternach echter at informatik.uni-rostock.de
Thu Nov 16 14:37:42 CST 2000

On Thu, Nov 16, 2000 at 11:24:47AM -0800, Peter Mardahl wrote:

      How about a spell which animates ALL the weapons in range, including ones

      in the inventory of the enemies close by (but not in players inventories),

      and sets them all against whatever enemy creatures are about?  This could

      be an impressive effect.  A maelstrom of mixed clubs, swords, daggers,

      maces, all turned on their former owners.  Easy to balance too.

Impressive effect, but easy to balance?  Monsters will lose weapons
even though they are not killed, and sometimes the weapon is the only
thing you want from the monster.  I don't like spells that allow you to
overcome a monster no matter how many hit points it has.  But I have no
objections to animating all weapons on the ground.

      Well, these are pretty cool ideas.  Create wood should work underneath

      monsters.

The trees should be blocking.  I'd like to avoid blocking objects below
monsters.  And it also means that the spell isn't trivial to use.  You
need some free space between you and your enemies for maximum spell
effect.  However, wall of thorns could create thorns below monsters,
giving followers of Gaea a useful spell in close combat.

      I'm a bit confused.  You realize that the intention is that the

      peaceful monsters stay around right?  They just no longer fight

I'm sorry, I missed that.  But it would still be a spell that overcomes
monsters regardless of hit points, and it is in my opinion still a bit
too offensive for Gaea.  If monsters stay around and don't hurt anyone
anymore, the Spell of Peace would be kind of unlimited paralysis.  A
powerful side effect can be that they may block their fellows.

      Not with flame touch, they can't.  Hmmm.  If we add a physical

      component to flame touch (or if there already is), then it can.

Flame touch is currently pure AT_FIRE (attacktype 4).

      We need some good ideas for Valriel.  How about a holy aura, like

      sanctuary or flaming aura, except which blinds anyone who comes near?

Aura of Celestial Might, has AT_FEAR and maybe also AT_TURN_UNDEAD,
matches the gods alignment well.  No other attack spells because
Valriel has the second best holy word.

--
Jan