[CF-Devel] race/classes notes/thoughts.

Mark Wedel mwedel at scruz.net
Sat Nov 18 01:46:30 CST 2000

Peter Mardahl wrote:

      I would rather that there be a "hard" minimum of 1 on a troll's intrinsic

      stats.  I'll toss this one in the hopper of "things to fix".

 I think this is a good idea just for intuitiveness (this of course should
probably apply to all race/class combinations).  Otherwise, even if it does
work, the player doesn't see any change and may get confused.  Of course, the
statistics command is out there to make that easier to see, but that isn't a
mainstream command.

      However, I would also like to see a change in behavior for potions

      so that they'll raise negative "intrinsic" stat values.

 Probably not hard to do.

      ***

      Regarding food/body parts:  body parts aren't really that useful

      for food because they're heavy and suck up inventory slots.  I hate

      paging through inventory so I keep my items carried to a minimum.

      That means one type of food.

 I agree - I don't carry them around, but while in the dungeon, they can make
excellent supplemental sources (instead of carrying around my food, consume a
corpse).

 In terms of flesh aging, I was thinking that the names should change to be
pretty obvious that it has aged, and ideally even have different images which
show it in a more decomposed state.

 The one nice thing this would add is that dungeons would in a sense get cleaned
up.

 But this does give me another idea.  Currently, most all monsters motivation is
to kill the player and nothing else.  It would be interesting to have things
like carrion crawlers whose motivation is to find flesh items and eat them (I
leave food items out because that would otherwise get annoying).  The crawlers
would not directly attack stuff, but perhaps creatures adjacant have some random
chance of being hit.

 Motivation for other creatures could be added.  Rust monsters should be
interested in that big pile of metal - this actually makes things cool - you
could bring in bunch of armor on a level where you know a rust monster is and
lure it to a spot and then kill the rust monster while it munches on that.

      Like Ballots in Florida, noble rank isn't for everyone.  I think being

      literate is a reasonable prerequisite for participating in the noble

      rank quests.

      However, I don't feel too strongly about it and if there's a consensus

      against me on this one, I won't object to someone changing the hall of

      quests to use magic mouths.

 I guess I might care more depending on which other classes/races also lack
literacy.  If there are other combinations that may be more respectible, then
perhaps that is more reason to change that.

 OTOH, at least for those quests, as much as anything else, some of the lower
level ones the king should be happy for anyone to get them done.  So maybe a
compromise would be for the first 4 or so to not require literacy, and beyond
that, the king would also want someone with more noble blood.

 This also gives the characters enough time to accumulate some money and try and
become literate if they want to

      Well, for a troll, I actually like to load up on better armor

      I buy myself +2 helm, +2 shield, +(best armour I can find in a shop)

      +boots.  +3 sword is good enough that I wouldn't bother looking.

      If I've already got all that AND money then I'll go hunting for wyverns and

      get myself a scale and have a dragonshield.

 Good point, and I think one of the random quests even has some wyverns in it.
As I recall, the +2 helm and +2 shields are not very expensive, so that won't
chew up much money, but first time through the shop did have +4 chain which at
the time (before doing the ogre quest) was beyond my price range.

      I like this idea.  In fact, I made a "basic spells shop" in scorn, which

      you may not have seen, which supplies basic attack spells:

      icestorm, burning hands, small/medium/large snowstorm/fireball and

      small/large lightning, and cause light/medium/serious/many wounds.

      All at about 3x their normal shop price, the price you pay for

      convenience.

      Put in your "good" but "non-artifact" items at a premium price so people

      can just exchange money for convenience.

 Right - no artifact stuff in shops.

 3x shop price seems a bit excessive, but I was certainly thinking that some
premium to have those items would make sense.  For armor, the price may be less
relevant, because if you do find better stuff (like the artifact armor), you can
always re-sell that equipment and recoup some portion of that money back.  Spell
books of course get used up so you can't re-sell those after you find a
duplicate - you can sell back the duplicate, but that only gets you the normal
price.