[CF-Devel] background sounds

Michael Toennies mtx93 at tzi.de
Tue Nov 21 12:23:36 CST 2000

Hi

I think about some background sounds. I don't like normally music as
background sounds,
except suckers like diablo or Baldurs Gate. I can stream music/mp3 but for
this we need
some music artists and they are also as mp3 very long.

So, there is one more way exclude midi (i don't like midi).

I loop one sound, a wind streaming sound for example. Also, you define 2-4
other
sounds, bird crys or rumble for example, which you play at random all few
seconds.

I think you know the prinzip from many other games.

The nice thing is, that you can simulate which a small amount of sounds the
whole background
for all maps.

what we need is, that if you enter a map, the server must sends the number
of the background
sounds in an own command.

I also find it good, if the player gets a map name. If you enter it, you got
for example "treasure room",
"Scorn City", etc. I have a small text line where i can show it under the
map. It will make orientation
much more simple. It will be very useful for complex maps and for newbies.
For places you don't want
tell the player you can send "a unknown place" or something. In all cases,
it will give more game/player
conversation.

So, what about a mapstart command, wich gives the map name and the
background sounds. For future
extensions, we can add more.

MichToen