[CF-Devel] background sounds

Mark Wedel mwedel at scruz.net
Tue Nov 21 23:47:52 CST 2000

Michael Toennies wrote:

      Hi

      I think about some background sounds. I don't like normally music as

      background sounds,

      except suckers like diablo or Baldurs Gate. I can stream music/mp3 but for

      this we need

      some music artists and they are also as mp3 very long.

      So, there is one more way exclude midi (i don't like midi).

      I loop one sound, a wind streaming sound for example. Also, you define 2-4

      other

      sounds, bird crys or rumble for example, which you play at random all few

      seconds.

 Note that sounds of any type will almost always be done the way they are now -
the sounds will be local to the client.  So the size of the sounds isn't quite
as relevant, since they won't need to come from the server.

      what we need is, that if you enter a map, the server must sends the number

      of the background

      sounds in an own command.

 If I ever get around to extending the objects, I would like to be able to
specify 'ambiant' sounds.  So for example, fountains could have an appropriate
sounds, rivers same thing.

 Although, I guess that could get a little annoying - for example, you may want
to add an ambiant sound for forest (birds chirping or something), but when you
have big stretches of forest, you would then need to deal with lots of ambiant
sounds.

 So perhaps invisible sound objects may be the way to go.  In the case of
forests, you could sprinkle a few of these objects about.

 I'm not sure the trustworthyness of sending all sound information to the client
when the map is loaded.  IF its just things like fountains, probably not a big
deal.  But I could see background noises attached to some items/places that the
mapmaker wants you to be able to hear as you get closer.  If the client knows
that sound originates from 15,40, that could be an advantage to the player.

 I don't really like the idea of 'global' background sounds per map - many maps
vary widely in terrain and features.

      I also find it good, if the player gets a map name. If you enter it, you got

      for example "treasure room",

      "Scorn City", etc. I have a small text line where i can show it under the

      map. It will make orientation

      much more simple. It will be very useful for complex maps and for newbies.

      For places you don't want

      tell the player you can send "a unknown place" or something. In all cases,

      it will give more game/player

      conversation.

 I like the mapname idea.  Unfortunately, a lot of maps don't have official map
names.