[CF-Devel] server crashes

Andreas Vogl andi.vogl at gmx.net
Sat Oct 7 18:58:18 CDT 2000

      It was crashing due to random maps?

      Argh.

      I can't make it crash any more, myself, so debugging is a problem.

      How EXACTLY were you crashing it?

      Eliminating crashing bugs is important.

You can have all my knowledge about server-crashes for sure. No
reason to keep any secrets here. I´ve already posted them to the
list some time ago though:

- random-maps: The trick is basicall entering and trying to get
  to the end. Sometimes - not always - it might crash when entering
  a new map. And once it crashed it usually crashes every time
  one tries to re-enter. It appeared to me that certain random-sets
  are more likely to crash than others. But I´m not completely sure
  if that is true.

- (say "dumptag", that has been fixed with version 0.95.6
   on my suggestion)

- Saying a very long sentence used to cause some sorta buffer overflow.
  I`ve just tested that, it still seems to work too. Sentence has to
  be *real* long though... I have no idea where that bug is located in
  the code yet...

- (death attack at level 0, has been fixed with version 0.95.6 as well)

And yes, eliminating crashing bugs is certainly important. The latter
one should be rather easy I guess. But the first one might be tough.

Another thing I have noticed is that if a player tries to connect while
the server is restarting, server breaks down for permanent.
I suspect that this is the most common cause for server-downs.
If that could be fixed somehow, it would be a great blessing. It should
be possible to just ignore any connection-attempts while starting up...?

Yup, and that´s all I ever knew about crashes.

Andreas V.