[CF-Devel] Weapons from gods

Mark Wedel mwedel at scruznet.com
Mon Oct 30 21:16:49 CST 2000

     dnh at hawthorn.csse.monash.edu.au

      wrote:

      Firstly, currently you can get one char to pray over devourers get a death

      weapon and then qield it with sorig. It may be reasonable i don't know,

      but in the interests of balance, we might want to make the weapon

      "startequip" thus preventing the exchange of weapons. This would give

      devourers alittle more advantage which it sorely needs.

 You could also add something that checked the god of the weapon and the god of
the player when the player equips the weapon, and if the gods don't agree, you
can't equip it, and if the gods are opposite, you get some retribution.

 I personally don't really like the idea of startequip that much.  The main
reason it is in place is so that a player can't start a bunch of characters,
have them drop their equipment, kill them off, and take it and make some money
or otherwise have good stuff (for people that start with spellbooks or crystals,
this can be quite lucrative).

 Using it in maps or other places to prevent exchange between players doesn't
seem quite right for multiplayer games.

 IF there ends up being a problem with high level characters creating god
weapons for their low level friends, you could also treat these god created
weapons as being improved weapons and put in an appropriate minimum level.

      I came across the idea of allowing gods especially mostrai to improve

      items other than weapons. (obviously going to require some balancing). My

      intial guess would be to add an ATTUNED_ARMOUR or the likes. Which when

      given allows gods to improve in this case armour. Ruggilli for instance

      might improve weapons and bows, gaea might improve shields and helmets.

      Peterm thinks this is wrong as ATTUNED is for magic and improving items

      via gods is not the same. I agree, but I can't see any other way to do it,

      and after frustrating Peterm to the point of insanity ill leave it there.

      If someone has a better idea as to how to do it, please put it forward.

 Another bitmask could be added if needed.  The randomitems idea seems like a
better idea, as it is more flexible.

 To add flavor to the game, each god should have descriptions and their notable
deads they have done and what items they did it with.  The gods would then
improve weapons that match what they use - ie, a god famous for slaying a titan
with a bow is going to improve bows, but not throwing knives for example.

 Having a more detailed listing could also be useful for balancing the gods.
For example, instead of just limiting the followers to the gods to using/not
using weapons/armor, it could be more flexible - for example, some god may not
let you use shields, but you can use all other armor.  Another may limit armor
to non metal (unfortunately, this may not work really well, as many artifact
items have no material type or adamantite just so they can't get destroyed)

 But that is going beyond what you are asking here.