[CF-Devel] Bug or feature? Stat maximums for certain classes can exceed race maximums.

Mark Wedel mwedel at scruznet.com
Mon Oct 30 21:24:15 CST 2000

Peter Mardahl wrote:

      I refer to:

      http://langmuir.eecs.berkeley.edu/~peterm/Class.html

 Just a note - it seems that the net+ totals on that page are not accurate in
all cases.

      So here's the bug:

      If you start with a player with a roll of 18 in a stat,

      and then choose any race, and then choose a class which gives a +3

      bonus to that stat, that player will exceed his "race maximum" in

      taht stat by 1 point.

 I would argue that the race should determine the stat bonuses and the class
basically determines starting skills and equipment.

      If it is a BUG:

      1)  Fix by setting the affected stat to the race-maximum (means

          the player will need 1 to 2 more potions than he'd need otherwise)?

      2)  Fix by setting all race maxima to be <max roll> +3 instead of +2?

      3)  Fix by not giving the whole bonus, but not taking all the

      negative stats?

      4)  Fix by restricting classes to +2 only bonuses?

 I wonder how hard it would be to make it so that extra point is stored away and
then gets used if the player gets depleted, puts on a negative item, dies with
permanent stat loss, etc.

 So your natural stat would still be affected by racial maximums, but if
negative effected, you then get the bonus.