[CF-Devel] Changes to ball lightning spell, and addition of a new spell

Peter Mardahl peterm at tesla.EECS.Berkeley.EDU
Tue Oct 31 00:55:17 CST 2000

Ball lightning was a sucky spell, so I fixed it
(by my definition of "fixed")

1)  It won't track players (too deadly)
2)  It won't USUALLY harm the owner:  only if HE walks into it, not
    if IT goes over him
3)  It strikes neighboring monsters as well as the one it's
    sitting on.  Neighboring monsters get 1/2 dam.
4)  Tracking is MUCH better.  It does a limited LOS calculation
    to go after monsters that it can actually see.  I think the
    LOS calculation is pretty efficient (a quickly reducing
    recursion).  It doesn't get hung up on walls trying for
    monsters it can't see.
5)  Look range is only 3 squares.
6)  If it can't see any monster it'll continue in a straight line
7)  It won't damage stuff unless the stuff is underneath a monster
    it is attacking.

New spell:
divine shock

1)  Just like ball lightning, but weaker in the beginning
2)  has AT_ELECTRICITY | AT_GODPOWER
3)  Requires PATH_ELECTRICITY to cast  (intended for Sorig, but
    ring of storm allows it)
4)  Is PATH_WOUNDING and a priest spell
5)  Is level 1 and available in stores

You may try out these mods on crossfire.csua or by
obtaining the current CVS version or tomorrow's CVS snapshot.

PeterM