[CF-Devel] Objects granting immunity are generally bad.

Andreas Vogl andi.vogl at gmx.net
Wed Sep 13 06:40:11 CDT 2000

on Tue, 12 Sep 2000 Peter M. wrote:

      > Calamity ... overpowered ... [bla bla]

      Yeah, it's my map.  I'll tone it down, make it a bit more

      reasonable. I won't, however, make it unusable.  The main purpose

      of that weapon was to fulfil a quest.  I also thought that having

      to destroy a nice thing like that would be a bitter sacrifice

      to make for noble rank.  :)

As Pertti Karppinen mentioned in another mail, there are numerous
Lord Spectres on those random maps. Thus one can collect about
50 Clamities in five minutes. So when you´re at it, maybe you
could make a unique final map instead, with only one Spectre and
one Calamity. However, your map - your descision what to do...

      > But did you know that there´s a white dragon scale mail ("wdsm")

      > in pupland, granting immunity to BOTH fire AND cold?! ...

      Hmm, I thought it was practically unreachable.  Maybe I haven't

      fully fathomed the pupland maps yet:  I've only just started to

      look at them. But the items in the chance levels....  The further

      away from the start of the boulder-chain, the less likely, so I

      thought wdsm would have a 1/1024 probability or something like

      that, which makes it very tiresome and tedious to try to get it.

      Am I correct on that point?

You are obvously referring to the raffles here. The raffles are
designed to look at the pupland artifacts, not really to get them.
Everything can be found somewhere else in pupland, same applies
for wdsm: If you solve the eureca-quest and defeat gothwolte in
ancient pupland, you´ll get a 1:24 chance to receive the true wdsm.
For example: If you do the quest 20 times, you got an overall chance
of 56% to get a wdsm during that process (hope the math is correct).
Considered that the wdsm is a *great* jackpot, this isn´t real
tough.

      > Not to forget the armour enchanting: Armour 99 eqals physical

      > immunity.

      I thought armor enchanting only enhanced the ac, not the armour...

Armour enchanting increases both ac and armour value. The amount
of armour added depends on the player´s level. A total armour of
99 is easy to get and common for high level characters - yet.

      Maybe it's indeed time to put in the partial protection scheme.

      All protections and immunities would add like pices of armor:

      approaching, but never reaching, 100%, and diminishing returns

      at the high end of the scale.

That would be great! I´d love it...

      That's been in the works for a LONG time, and I agree it's needed,

      and indeed, it's been done.  Mark's been sitting on the patches

      for a long time:  he has some reason for doing so which I forget.

Sure, that´d requires some work. To find the balance between
too easy and too hard... A few maps might need some adjustments as
well. E.g. I can only guess what the Chaoslair would be like without
perfect fire immunity.

Btw, what should happen to the immunity potions then? Temporarily
raising the protection to some high level I guess?

      Well, we can make powerful artifacts without granting

      immunity. How about protection and a lot of damage, attuned fire,

      and maybe a few stats?

With the new protection concept, artifacts will become more equal.
Yes, maybe a few quests might lose some attraction that way.
But the quests themselves won´t suffer, and besides, it´s going to
be worth it.

We could make different amounts of protection possible:
"little protection", "average protection" and "great protection".
But then again, everybody might use the "great protection", and
maybe it ends up everybody wearing 99% protection again...

Either way, I´m sure the new protection concept would be a
blessing :-)

Andreas V.

--
Sent through GMX FreeMail -