[CF-Devel] Raffle2 in pupland broken?

Peter Mardahl peterm at alfven.EECS.Berkeley.EDU
Wed Apr 4 20:49:18 CDT 2001

Hello,

  I looked at raffle2 in pupland via the map editor.
SPOILER ALERT!!

It seems like what is needed to solve the map with the teleporters in it
(the one with the cyclops and the trolls), is for a player on each
side of the map to send appropriate items across and perform appropriate
actions.

The first of these actions seemingly is
for the left-hand player to melt the ice cube.

     From my examination of the map, it should only be necessary to do this:

     1)  First, reveal the lever to open the secret door using show invisible.
2)  Toggle the lever and fire a spell at the ice cube.

However, the gates controlled by the button under the ice cube don't
seem to be in the correct state at map initializaton.

I checked this by going into the map via DM mode and examining the device.

EVEN THOUGH THE BUTTON IS PRESSED BY THE ICE CUBE, THE GATES ARE IN THE
WRONG POSITION.

The upshot is that to solve the map, at great difficulty, I had
to press AND release the button under the ice cube again.

Now, this ice cube is defended:  (or rather the button under it is)

1)  Directors shut aside any thrown objects or spells.  You cannot
throw something on it.

2)  Movers stop the player, his golems, and his pets from walking onto it.

3)  Earth wall will not depress the button if put on top.

So, um, with these problems, how the HELL did I solve it?

a)  I put earthwalls over everything near the ice cube.
b)  I ran diagonally-left-up from the door into the forbidden area
c)  the attack-run-speed bug allowed me to leap over the player changer
    through the earthwall.  briefly, you get a huge burst of speed
    when you are attacking something and kill it:  you fly through it very fast
d)  I ended up diagonally-down from the player changer
e)  after many tries, I was able to step onto the button (throwing objects did
NOT work)

This was WAY harder than is reasonable, IMHO.  Is raffle2 broken or
is this extreme hoop jumping intended?

PeterM