[CF-Devel] server crash

Mark Wedel mwedel at scruz.net
Thu Apr 5 22:45:46 CDT 2001

Preston Crow wrote:

      I've had two server crashes in the last week or so.  One was with a pet

      monster when I went from the Scorn port to the Lake Country map.  The other

      was upon entering a new random map (with no pets).  Neither of these is

      easily recreated.

      So since I can't provide useful debugging information right now, I was

      wondering if there was a standard way of doing so?  Could we have a script

      to run the server in a loop, only do it under gdb so that a crash produces

      a stack trace?  Or maybe a script that upon a crash will run gdb in batch

      mode on the core file to produce the stack trace?  We could even have it

      set up to email someone with the crash report automatically, provided

      someone wants to receive them.

 the crossloop skills do exist which does do this to an extent - it at least
compresses (gzips) the core files and renames them.  It wouldn't be hard to
modify the script to do other stuff also.

 With the core file, you can then get the stack trace at a later time (presuming
the server it was generated from has not changed.).

 Now it would not be hard to extend that script to also do something like:
 gdb --command=/some/file server/crossfire core > /some/other/file

 where the --command file lists the commands you want gdb to do (probably where,
q).  I'm not sure if I would want to default crossloop scripts to do this -
after all, gdb isn't installed on every system.