[CF-Devel] server crash

Mark Wedel mwedel at scruz.net
Sat Apr 7 20:24:17 CDT 2001

Preston Crow wrote:

      > Now it would not be hard to extend that script to also do something like:

      > gdb --command=/some/file server/crossfire core > /some/other/file

      > where the --command file lists the commands you want gdb to do (probably where,

      >q).  I'm not sure if I would want to default crossloop scripts to do this -

      >after all, gdb isn't installed on every system.

      How about a separate 'crossloop-debug' script?

      Or have the regular script check to see if gdb is present and only run it

      on the core file if it is?

 I'm actually not sure of the usefulness of this.

 Yes, it gives the administrator some quick feedback on the crash.  But
realisticly, if the admin wants to really debug and fix the problem, they will
almost certainly want more than just the coredump, and so will run the debugger
interactively.  Sometimes, I'm able to figure the cause of a crash just by a
stack trace, but usually not (in cases where I can, there is usually a pretty
obvious problem in the code)

 If your really concerned about this, do what I do on tavern - run the program
under gdb.  Sure, it if crashes, it doesn't respawn, but this lets me do very
thorough debugging.