[CF-Devel] post V1.0

Sean Michael Whipkey highway at cstone.net
Mon Apr 9 09:05:34 CDT 2001

dnh wrote:

      The only thing I can think of for players needing all that is that our

      current new player learning curve is too steep. This is a very serious

      problem, if players have to much trouble at low levels, then they will

      just leave. This I fear maybe the MAJOR cause of crossfire's low

      population. If players don't give crossfire enough chance to be good

      because the start is to tough we should consider changing it.

Well, still being a fairly new player I thought I'd chime in...

I play off a .95.1 server that a friend of mine runs.  My first
character was a Viking, who died a lot.  One of my coworkers who plays
(we all play at work) gave him some decent equipment, which I gave on to
my next character, a barbarian who is now level 14.  I also just started
a mage who is currently (IIRC) level six.

I think the biggest thing in the way of newbie characters is the fact
that most of the beginner's maps are, well, boring.  If you push too
hard, you get killed very fast (heck, my mage died from a poisoned orc
chop when I clicked on the wrong button), but if you don't push on,
you're stuck with the "same ole same ole".

This is particularly true if you have people who like to play on a map
where they go through and clear out certain areas over and over and over
again.

Personally, I think some more beginning monsters - or, even, more named
monsters in quests and interesting houses - are needed.  It'd also be
cool if there was an entire beginner's area, where higher level
characters are prohibited and it's set up to get beginner's some decent
equipment.

SeanMike