[CF-Devel] post V1.0

dnh dnh at hawthorn.csse.monash.edu.au
Mon Apr 9 08:24:53 CDT 2001

I think we should considering beginning monsters.

I have recently been informed that on some servers, advanced players are
handing over such items as -> 'and got a flametongue of valriel +7...
demonspawn shield/dragon shield + dragon mail, 100k platinum and 10k
diamonds....'

The only thing I can think of for players needing all that is that our
current new player learning curve is too steep. This is a very serious
problem, if players have to much trouble at low levels, then they will
just leave. This I fear maybe the MAJOR cause of crossfire's low
population. If players don't give crossfire enough chance to be good
because the start is to tough we should consider changing it.

For example, perhaps low level chars need to gain exp faster? perhaps get
better stat bonus'? better initial equipment, more money?

perhaps even a stronger char? this of course will make it easy for
advanced players, BUT, I point out that advanced players are advanced
because they are good (thus you would expect the start to be easier than
it would for other players. I fear we need to tone down some aspects like
damage of spells to low level players compared to high level players.
Perhaps we need to boost the level of certain monsters and decrease it for
others? I don't really have an answer but I truely believe this is a very
important issue we must start thinking about for post V1.0 crossfire.

dnh

ps. Just another thought ;)